Friday, April 13, 2007

Another Friend Fighting Cancer...



So I started today in a great mood. It's Friday, I had just filed my tax returns (and was getting a nice fat refund!), looking forward to the weekend, time with the kids, etc. And then I sit down and I have an email from Francesca Giessmann a friend I worked with at The Core Club explaining that she has been diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgekins lymphoma - same thing Dad had. She's taking CHOP chemo, awaiting test results etc. All a huge flashback and I was simply stunned. She's 34, healthy, mother of a beautiful 3 year old son. Her story is here: http://backoffcancer.blogspot.com

It's just amazing how many of my friends have already battled a cancer of one kind of another. We're not even 40 yet for crying out loud! Suanne's thyroid, Chris' tongue, Wendy... I don't remember my parents at 40 telling one story after another of their friends getting cancer. WTF are we doing to our bodies? Juxtapose this with my grandmother just having passed at 93 and my grandfather still going and I wonder what the hell is going wrong. And when my time will come...

Yet another reminder to live each day to the fullest and not obsess about the things that don't really matter in life: the amount of wealth you accumulate, the size of your house, the make of your car. It's all bullshit. What matters is the laughter of friends, the love of family, and your health.

So go kick that cancer's ass Francesca!!!

JPL

No comments: