Saturday, April 12, 2008

A Young Girl's Rite of Passage

Julie's been asking for a long time....and always having second thoughts. I've remained casual, repeating that there is no "have to" about this, only "want to", and whenever she's ready I will be happy to take her to get her ears pierced.

This weekend, she took the plunge.

I really didn't know what to expect....whether she'd freak after the first one was done and I'd have to hold her down while they did the other one....tears and screaming....But she was a champ! And oh the look on her face, thrilled to the tips of her toes. "I can't believe it Mom!" she kept saying. "I can't believe I really did it!"

The buildup....



The anticipation (goodbye, naked ear....)


Ear #1....


Whew! OK, not so bad....


Ear #2. Now you know what's coming, there's more of a flinch....


And done! Wow!


Darling girl....


She was heart-breakingly beautiful today. She's been in a ponytail phase for a few weeks and suddenly today had her hair down in all it's spiral-curled glory. And then the new pink earrings sparkling through. So pretty....

Her hair is such a social calling card. She gets stopped constantly by strangers who coo and comment on her red curls. Flying down to Florida, two couples traveling asked if they could touch her hair for good luck before they got on the plane. Then they saw AJ bringing up the rear and went crazy, had to touch his head, too. Double all this when we hang out with Emma and Ellie....

I want Julie to love her hair. I want her to feel that her hair is unique and special and beautiful and it can be an expression of herself - exploding with joy and curlicued fun. She really wouldn't be JULIE without it.....

One can hope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember the day I got my ears pierced like it was yesterday. I was in fourth grade and sitting in the kitchen of our beloved friend, the one famous for her popcorn. She did Francesca and me one after the other. I can still remember the smell of the house, and the feel of the old milk container (remember those? they were metal and about two or three feet tall?) I sat on.